These systems allow the organization, storage, manipulation, analysis and modelling of large amounts of data from the real world that are linked to a spatial reference, facilitating the incorporation of social-cultural, economic and environmental aspects that lead to the decision making of a more effective way. MovilGmao integrates with several desktop GIS software, used to create, edit, manage, analyse and visualize geographic data. This system works like a geographic data viewer that includes several layers of information. GIS technology can be used for scientific research, resource management, asset management, archelogy, environmental impact assessment, urban planning, cartography, sociology, historical geography, marketing, logistics, among others.
GIS works as a database with geographic information (alphanumeric data) that is associated by an identifier common to the graphic objects of the digital maps.
The main issues that can be solved by a geographic information system are:
- Location: ask about the characteristics of a specific place..
- Condition: compliance or not of conditions imposed on the system. A specific place that meets certain conditions is sought.
- Trend: comparison between temporal or spatial situations other than some characteristic. It allows knowing the variation of some characteristics through a certain period.
- Routes: calculation of optimal routes between two or more points..
- Guide lines: detection of spatial patterns. It seeks to determine in a specific area, the relationships that may exist between two or more variables.
- Models: generation of models from simulated phenomena or actions. If a proposed system is subjected to certain modifications of its variables how the new system is defined, how much has changed, etc.
Nowadays GIS are having a strong implementation in the so-called Location Based Services (LBS) due to the cheapening and massification of GPS technology integrated into mobile consumer devices (mobile phones, PDAs, laptops). The LBS allow mobile devices with GPS to show their location with respect to fixed points of interest (restaurants, petrol stations, ATMs, hydrants, etc.), mobile (friends, children, buses, police cars) or to transmit their position to a central server for viewing or other type of treatment.